Thursday, August 28, 2008

History assignment


When I was 16 and riding the same trails I ride now there was a little deer track that wound around a fence and through the brush. You could not get in too far and you knew you had crossed onto someones farm.. in the short distance was the most charming thing ... an old mill. Time was doing it's job to help decay the wood but the wheel was still there and you could hear the water. Just a special place in the woods.

Fast forward to now.... the land has been given to the park and I can now ride right up to it and really look. How cool is that??? The wood frame is gone but the stone walls are there and the wheel is mostly in one piece and you can still hear the water. Well, I have given myself a mission. I want to research it's history and share it here. As I find out I will update the blog :) I googled it and no luck. I am going to have to make the Rocket march right up the small path and get a picture of the brass plaque on the wall and start my search there with the only fact I know of. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jessica Oren said...

I believe that park was named after my Great Grandfather Whipple. He settled that area. I will do some digging for you too and find out what I can from my mom. (I was born and raised in Tumwater, WA)