Monday, August 18, 2008

Just hot & nothing else

Last week was a hot one and the weekend no different. We had multiple days in a row of over 100. To try and get a jump on the day we headed into the park at 9am and it felt great. The horses did fine and we rode for 3 hours covering all the trails. When we came out it was HOT and it was all I could do to get the horses cooled off. I was thinking milkshake. We still had a horse to work so after a quick lunch we rode back out thinking the park would still be cooler. It did not take long to realize it was just feeling HOT, the kind of heat that presses on you. I was feeling the heat and I did have water with me but it just wasn't helping enough. We called the ride over and rode back out to the barn. We were far enough in that it took another half hour to get back to the barn. I turn beet red when overheated so while washing down the horse I just turned the hose on myself :) Big lesson learned .... I am going to make sure I have Smart Water along for these types of rides in the future.

No comments: